TWO FULL TIME POSITIONS AVAILABLE WITH CONDITION
Currently, we will consider only couples or friends/acquaintances that are willing to share housing and work together. We must fill two full time positions and presently have only one on-site home available. Home is 2 bedroom/1 bath.
Interested applicants are requested to travel to the sanctuary and volunteer a minimum of 4 days as part of the application process.
Our Animal Caregivers must have a genuine interest in parrots and their well-being. You don’t need to have been a parrot caregiver before though that’s preferred. But you do need to love them, and be dedicated to them. Our staff is very hard working and always ready to jump in and do what is needed for the parrots. You need to be someone who likes people too, and can be warm and friendly with visitors and volunteers. You need to be easy to work with and support the team by doing whatever it takes to ensure the bird’s ongoing care.
The work is physical, dirty and often unglamorous, but can be highly rewarding. It offers the personal satisfaction of helping to provide a stable environment for birds to peacefully live out the remainder of their lives.
The Oasis Sanctuary is a life-care facility for captive exotic birds (Psittacines), although we do accept other captive avian species. We do not sell, breed or offer birds for adoption. The birds are given a stable and loving home for the duration of their natural lives. With 800 birds in our care we are seeking hardworking and dedicated individuals to provide daily care. The Oasis Sanctuary is proud to be accredited by both American Sanctuary Association (ASA) and the Global Federation of Animal Sanctuaries (GFAS).
The sanctuary is located on 72 acres in a rural area of southeastern Arizona. The San Pedro River valley is home to beautiful scenic views and amazing desert wildlife. The Oasis is accessed from the town of Benson by a long country road, partially dirt. Benson is located 25 miles south and offers us our closest retail services.
Position: Avian/Animal Caregiver
Type of position: Full Time and Live On-Site in provided housing
Hours: 40 hours per week
Working within a team structure to oversee the well-being, care and quality of life for all parrots at The Oasis Sanctuary.
- Diet preparation, change food/ water and maintain feeding stations daily, following established protocols.
- Clean cages, floors and rooms daily, following established protocols
- Become familiar and monitor each animal’s normal health and behavior. Report any changes or concerns to the Executive Director.
- Observe behavior patterns in order to create a safe and stimulating environment for each bird.
- Clean and maintain outdoor aviaries and sanctuary grounds.
- Keep building and work areas clean and well stocked with necessary food and supplies.
- Maintain quarantine birds in accordance with proper procedures and bio-security standards.
- Administer and document required medications and supplements for the birds.
- Be able to handle and properly restrain when necessary all birds on-site.
- Interact with volunteers and visitors in a positive manner on a regular basis.
- Display a willingness to learn by completing independent research.
- Be attentive to others’ needs and willingly assist as required.
- Treat birds and co-workers with respect and kindness always.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or Senior Staff.
Skills and Experience:
- Strong desire to work with parrots is required. Previous experience working with parrots preferred but not required. Vet assistant or tech experience a plus.
- Able to demonstrate after a short training period, a working knowledge of different parrot species, their individual care requirements within established protocols, and Oasis operating procedures.
- Mechanical, construction and maintenance skills would be beneficial.
- Demonstrates approachability when dealing with the general public.
- Demonstrates ability to create and encourage a positive work environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, i.e., ability to develop positive relationships with others and demonstrate sensitivity to the thoughts, feelings and perspectives of others.
- Demonstrates personal accountability to ensure that all responsibilities are completed effectively and in a timely manner. Candidates must be extremely dependable.
- Accurate, appropriate, clear and concise written and verbal communication skills. Strong listening skills.
- Able and willing to professionally advocate Oasis Sanctuary’s position on issues.
- High school diploma or GED
- Must be willing to work weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to routinely lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to work outdoors in all weather conditions, with temperatures ranging from below freezing to above 100 degrees.
- Must be able to perform strenuous physical activity on a daily basis, including but not limited to lifting, carrying, reaching, stooping, squatting, kneeling, cleaning and bending.
- Must be able to work around allergens like dust and dander, indoors and outdoors.
- Must be able to work with high levels of noise.
- Ability to handle and work effectively around all types of birds. You will be exposed to potentially aggressive parrots.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle capable of handling county maintained dirt roads.
- Due to our rural location candidates must be willing to live on site.
Modest hourly salary starting at $11.00/hour (Arizona minimum wage)
On-site housing and essential utilities provided (electric, gas, water and trash removal). All non-essential utilities or services must be covered by employee.
How to Apply:
Send resume and letter, to request an application or for further information please contact:
Executive Director of Administration
520-212-4737 or firstname.lastname@example.org